Not an earth shattering announcement I know, but I hardly ever make soup, in fact, I think I have now done it a grand total of twice!
Yesterday I started to clean out the fridge and found that I had a lots of cauliflower and pumpkin left and it was starting to get past it's best, so I googled soups....I found this blog..
which had this recipe
Spiced Pumpkin and Cauliflower Soup
• 1 tablespoon of olive oil
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
• 1 clove of garlic, peeled
• 1 bay leaf
• 450 grams (1lb) of pumpkin, peeled and chopped, approximately
• 450 grams (1lb) of cauliflower florets, trimmed, approximately
• 800 mls (1½ pints) of chicken or vegetable stock, preferably homemade
• ¼ cup of tomato purée
• salt and pepper to taste
• a little cream to finish, optional
• 4-6 slices of cauliflower, extra
• olive oil
• maldon sea salt
1. In a large saucepan sweat the onion in a little olive oil until translucent and soft.
2. Add the cumin, cinnamon, bay leaf and a whole peeled garlic clove, continue to sauté for a minute or so until lovely and fragrant.
3. Add the pumpkin and cauliflower and sweat for another minute or two.
4. Add enough stock to cover the vegetables, topping up with water if necessary, add the tomato purée and a little salt.
5. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the pumpkin and cauliflower are tender.
6. Meanwhile in a medium hot pan, fry the extra slices of cauliflower in a little olive oil until golden and cooked through, drain on adsorbent paper towels and keep aside in a warm place.
7. Remove the bay leaf and blend the soup mixture until very smooth. Pass the soup through a chinose if you desire, this helps to remove any stray coarse vegetable fibres.
8. Taste the soup for seasoning and adjust accordingly, finishing with a little cream if desired.
9. Serve the soup whilst still very warm, gently reheating if necessary and topping with a warm pan-fried slice of cauliflower and sprinkle of maldon sea salt or fleur de sel.
OMG it was soooo yummy! We ended up having dinner at mum's last night so I took the soup with me, everyone loved it and we all came back for seconds, including Ethan :) I didn't do the little slice of fried cauliflower on top, but I might give that a go if I make it for a dinner party, I just put a swirl of light cream on top.
Mystical and scrapping News...
I have achieved very little scrapping just lately.... but this is the one page I have managed to do.
Mystical Scrapbooks May challenges...Deadline is Tue to get your layout up!
I have been getting ready for classes to start here again, June Class time table is up in the forum if you would like to check it out...
Our June Cyber Crop starts next Friday, it's going to be so much fun we're glaming it up! Head over the our Facebook page or fourm to find out more....
Thanks for visiting...